Thursday 19 May 2011

The Big Society In Action but not in the local Council

The Big Society in Action
On the theme of recovering people, I have another case of debt distress involving Council Tax with the local authority and the Bailiffs with whom the local council have every confidence unfortunately I don’t share their enthusiasm and rightly so.
My customer complained that the said Bailiffs used by the council to recover council tax arrears where operating a rather shoddy practice of not turning up when agreed and my client was losing income taking time off from work.
In a discussion with my local council Recovery Department, I put this point to them only to be told they were very good no real problems with them after relaying the above information to the official.
Then I  pointed out that the bill, red letter from the bailiffs, demand for payment didn’t have an adequate breakdown of the total figure, so we couldn’t establish if this was correct or not. Again it was pointed out the excellent bailiffs, had delivered good service to the council, it struck me that perhaps with their Rose tinted specs, they didn’t want to hear the bad critical news I  had to offer for my client to them.

Then I explained the breakdown didn’t allow the  customer to check the amount of the demand payment and couldn’t ascertain it was correct, surprise again that I should even think it to be wrong
After a few minutes deliberation council official rings Bailiffs office to find bill for £500 is only overstated by £200, the same efficient careful considerate Bailiffs in question i had dared to question were not as good as the Council would like to believe and perhaps my clients points were valid.

My point is are these players in David Cameron’s Big Society, just spectators,  rather do they suffer from the delusion of their own genius and value that allows their Ceo to collect a salary of at least twice the Prime Ministers. Perhaps David Cameron would be advised to take a good look at our local Councils value propositions for tax payers and efficiencies and general flexibility to learn from admit  mistakes willingness and ability to correct and put things right, especially when it involves sorting out inefficient third party suppliers. They need  to scrap the need to hide behind bureaucracy and that’s the way we have always done it that’s the people we have always used. It seems to cloud one’s ability to listen and to see the obvious.

Please comment

Have you had difficulties with Council Tax arrears por service ?
If you want help with Financial Distress  or Debt Problems give me a try
Qualified Adviser Director of Financial Services Company PAS Financial and Mortgage Solutions Ltd
Author Creator of the-green -shoots -of-recovery  New 21st Century  Recovery Concepts
Telephone 01306 881399, mobile 07710-854040




No comments:

Post a Comment